Shot to Nothing

Saturday, April 28, 2007

Meh, That'll Do.



- With the ninth pick in the 2007 NFL Draft, the Miami Dolphins take Wide Receiver Ted Ginn Jr.

Wow. I didn't see that one coming. Once Brady drifted down to No. 9 I thought it was almost a done deal that Miami would take him. I even started trying to convince myself that Quinn could be the next Marino... hey, shut-up asshole, I was trying to console myself with the most likely pick.

It was only when I saw Brady's face when they said that the pick had been made that I knew we hadn't spoken to him and we weren't going with him. After the blind panic set in, I tried to rationale who we might have gone for; Thomas and Brown were gone so I thought maybe Leon Hall...

But no,  the Dolphins went for a player that I loved to watch, rated higher than most folks but never thought that we would pick in a million years.

First I was shocked and pleased at the same time, then I was a bit disappointed at the Phins going for a WR when we have so many other problems. Finally, with a couple minutes to think about it, I'm starting to think it makes perfect sense. Who was the Dolphins best Offensive player last year?  Wes Welker. Who was he? He was a punt returning, kick returning WR who played well despite a lack of big speed.

But Welker has gone to the Patriots and Ted Ginn does all the things he used to do, except he does them better and he does them faster. Am I happy with this pick? Yes, BUT only on the condition that the rest of the draft is more solidly focused on the holes we have and not so much of a reach.

I'm a pretty happy fan right now, if a little pensive.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 8:07 am, Anonymous twins15 said...

I really do like Ginn a lot, but I think the Phins will regret passing Quinn. John Beck is a solid QB in round 2, but I like Quinn quite a bit more. Will be interesting to see it all play out.

 
At 5:13 pm, Anonymous Sanchez said...

It should be interesting, as you say. I've got everything crossed that Brady is a bust though!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home