Shot to Nothing

Sunday, February 25, 2007

England stick with the plan. (i.e. they lose)

We lost it again? Half way through the second half I was so angry with England's performance that I stopped watching the game. I was furious that, yet again, the English players (and particularly the forwards) had not turned up for the match at all. What made it even worse is that they never looked like they thought they could win. Seriously, it was like watching a bunch of drunks who were just going through the motions of a Sunday pub-league game that they knew they couldn't win.

In the cold light of morning though my anger has died and I'm starting to see things in perspective. Don't get me wrong, I'm still royally pissed off at the England Team for their lack of basic skills like, oh I don't know... passing... tackling... that sort of thing... At the same time though, I'm remembering things such as this was a highly emotional occassion for Ireland being played at home in the intimidating Croke Park and that Ireland are easily the second best team in the world, behind New Zealand. I'm also remembering that England are rebuilding as a new side and that I wasn't actually expecting them to win the game anyway.

The truth is that, despite their unlucky loss to France a fort-night ago, Ireland are serious contenders for the World Cup. I've already put down money on them to win it in-fact. Yeah, I know there's alot of people out there who would call me crazy for thinking that anyone bar the All Blacks (NZ) will win it, but I know the Kiwi's. I've watched them fall at seemingly easy hurdles in World Cup after World Cup. For some reason, they always peak too early and find themselves losing games that they should win. And I think they will do exactly the same thing again this year, leaving the door open for the superb Irish to take down the big one.

Yes, they lack depth and yes they NEED their big guns like O'Gara and O'Driscoll to stay healthy but if they do, then Ireland are definately the number two seeds.

And when you put it like that, maybe the thrashing they gave England wasn't really so bad. Then again...

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 2:37 pm, Anonymous Paul Groves said...

I'm not sure I'd put Ireland in 2nd place. They didn't perform in Cardiff and although unlucky against France I still thought played well below par. Saturday was the first time they started to match their potential. I think France are getting it right - plenty of grunt, plenty of flair and a willingness to keep it tight when required. Still can't look beyond NZ though. It is their's to lose, rather for France, Ireland, Oz or SA to win (if that makes sense?). No-one else comes close to even standing an outside chance - although being the ever-optimistic Welshman...

 
At 2:46 pm, Anonymous Sanchez said...

Isn't being ever-optimistic a requirement of being Welsh? ;)

I agree, it is NZ's to lose. We'll just have to wait and see if they can live up to it this time around.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home