Shot to Nothing

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Disgraced former Athlete Chambers is a Seadevil.

In the game. Well, in A game...An update on this post.

Dwain Chambers has managed to secure himself a spot on the Hamburg Seadevils' roster for the 2007 season. He managed to beat out several hundred others over three tough cuts to earn the right to play Wide Receiver in NFL Europe.

This is obviously something the Seadevils are particularly pleased with, if their website is anything to go by. (I'm assuming they're saying it's a good thing - it's in German and I nicht spreken deutsch compadres)

I have to admit I'm pretty pleased about it too. I was a massive Dwain chambers fan during his athletics career and I was gutted when he was caught cheating. I just didn't think he had it in him, but I guess that's what happens when you build up your sports heroes too much; you set yourself up for disappointment.

As for former Olympic gold medalist Justin 'The Gun' Gatlin, there doesn't appear to be such a bright outlook. He tried out with both the Texans and the Cardinals but neither were interested. And hey if those teams ain't interested then you better have a back up plan...

Currently Gatlin is serving as a volunteer coach at his old school, Woodham High. He's a bit of a local hero down there apparently. Well... there you go.

I will continue to keep my eyes on both of these guys in the future. I know its wrong to stick your support behind a drugs cheat, but in Chambers case, I just can't help it. It's difficult to hate a guy who you've been supporting for so long, especially now the dust has settled. I just hope he makes the most of this second chance he's been given.

[BBC sport] - Chambers
[Orlando Sentinel] - Gatlin

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 11:41 pm, Anonymous WBRS Sports Blog said...

NFL Europe seems to be growing every week in popularity. I wonder if they will ever be able to compete on the same level as NFL teams.

 
At 7:04 am, Anonymous WBRS Sports Blog said...

Also Sanchez,

We at WBRS are going to be live-blogging the NCAA basketball games this Thursday, all-day and all-night...So if you want to come drop by and participate a little that would be awesome!

Mini Me, WBRS

 
At 5:55 pm, Anonymous Sanchez said...

Ok, Mini me, I'll be there if I can.

I can't see NFL Europe becoming as big as the NFL but it would be nice to see some decent international teams IMO.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home