Shot to Nothing

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Still With You...

When I was a kid, playing football in the yard in my Miami Dolphins tracksuit, it was all about Marino.

Marino took the snap, Marino dropped back and Marino either handed it off to Marino or threw a long bomb down the field to Marino who would score an incredible 75 yd touchdown with a one handed catch.

And when I got a little older and was working hard in school, I didn’t have dreams of playing in the NFL, I had dreams of playing Middle Linebacker for the Miami Dolphins.

Back then I used to take it for granted that the Dolphins would make it to the playoffs, but now those glory days are gone. We are 0-13 and have little hope in sight. The media have drawn the knives for Cameron and the fans are fuming. 0-16 is a real possibility.

When you take football as seriously as I do, watching your team lose every week can be a horrible experience. Every Sunday has left me feeling sick to the stomach and depressed beyond consoling. It takes me a full week to recover. I still get a little optimistic on a Sunday morning, but only to see the Dolphins crushed again. It’s terrible.

But it’s ok.

I understand that everything in the NFL is cyclical and that there is a ‘worst’ team in every season, this just happens to be our turn. I understand that, given time, the Dolphins will rebuild. They will turn it around.

So while some fans find it too much and turn away, while some reporters fill their papers with bile and call for everybody’s head, know that I’m still with you Dolphins, for better or worse.

And if you go 0-16 this year and then go 0-16 the year after that, I’ll still be with you. ‘Cause I’m a Miami Dolphins fan, always have been, always will be and if you go through tough times, then I go through them with you.

So when it’s -200° in Foxborough and we’re down 75-0 to the Patriots in the forth quarter and all the fly-by-night, glory seeking, lightweight Pats fans have gone home to their warm beds, you can look up and through the blizzard and the fog you’ll see one fan still standing. He’ll be cheering every first down you make and screaming ‘D-Fense’ ‘til his lungs burst. And he won’t leave the stands ‘til you leave the field.

And that fan will be me. I will never desert my team just because times are tough.

So play with heart Dolphins, play with pride. Fight for every inch and remember, I’m pulling for you.

And when the glory days return and Dolphin Stadium is filled with bandwagon jumpers, I’ll be there with a smile on my face and a beer in my hand. And I’ll be cheering, as always. Cheering to the bitter end.

Labels: ,

19 Comments:

At 2:29 pm, Anonymous Scrap said...

you're not dead!

 
At 2:51 pm, Anonymous Sanchez said...

Not yet!

 
At 10:29 pm, Anonymous Scrap said...

send me an email!

 
At 7:22 pm, Anonymous bri said...

lions fan here. stay strong.

 
At 7:50 pm, Anonymous Mark said...

As a Niners fan, I thank you for pulling attention away from our disastrous season.

I applaud your committment to your team.

 
At 7:50 pm, Anonymous Fins4ever said...

This really makes me smile : )I am a Dol-fan and have been one from the day I was born. I've believe that this season is for the good of the franchise. I feel it in my bones...

 
At 7:51 pm, Anonymous Ken said...

Way to stick with your team. Your lucky your not a Lions fan because with Millen here, you guys will rebuild three times before we ever have one good team.

 
At 7:51 pm, Anonymous Alex said...

Wow, you're a better man than 99% of the fans in Miami.

Go Fins!

 
At 8:17 pm, Anonymous DolFan in Boston said...

I am with you brother. I grew up in Boca Raton Florida and am a huge Dolphin fan. Growing up my dad had season tickets and when i was a senior in High school I bought my own season tickets. Marino is hero and will always be. In fact I have gotten in to fights because people have bad mouthed him. I now live in Boston, and sadly have found my self cheering on the Pats from time to time. But I got Direct TV solely for the purpose of the NFL package so I can watch my fins every week. I too will be in the Stands next week fully clad in Dolphins gear. I go every year and every year I get every imaginable thing thrown at me, and this year will be no different. But its ok because when the 0-14 Fins beat the 14-0 Pats giving them their one and only loss of the season, I will feel like we just one the Super Bowl and you know what the season will be a success!

 
At 8:40 pm, Anonymous Joe said...

This is great. Way to stay loyal to your team. I'm the same way with the Dodgers, Lakers, USC Trojans and LA Kings.

-Dodgers haven't won a playoff series since 1988.

-Lakers are a borderline playoff team, had a horrible time in the 90's.

-USC Trojans are great now, but people forget the pain I went through in the 90's.

-LA Kings are, well, horrible. But I'm a fan!

STAY TRUE TO YOUR TEAM! Unless they bail on you as did my Los Angeles Rams.

 
At 8:51 pm, Anonymous mmmtravis said...

Glad to see you sticking with it, brother. Like DolFan in Boston said, I'm looking right passed this weekend's Ravens game and looking forward to upsetting those bastards Bilicheck and Brady in Boston.

0-14 pounding the crap out of 14-0 will most assuredly be the greatest upset in the history of the NFL.

Then all we have to worry about is finding a head coach that isn't in over is head, and having a good draft class next year.

 
At 8:51 pm, Anonymous Hunter in Tennessee said...

I am also a die-hard Dolfan! I live in Tennessee but was finally able to purchase season tickets for the first time in 2007. I still make the trip down for games and cheer on my Fins as hard as ever! Stay strong and stay positive! We'll be back!

 
At 9:04 pm, Anonymous Bartlebysmiles said...

It's good to know I'm not alone. The Dolphins first broke my heart when Kim Bokamper couldn't hold on to a deflected Joe Theismann pass and I had to watch endless reruns of the fun bunch end zone celebration. They've found a way to break my heart annually ever since.

It's been worse this year now that people like Gregg Easterbrook insist that the Dolphins only get press because sportswriters like to talk about south Florida. We're all in this together...and will be until Huizenga sells the team.

 
At 9:53 pm, Anonymous Vince said...

My question is do the Dolphins have what it takes to complete this perfect season?
Is each and every man in uniform willing to commit to the effort needed to achieve this ultimate goal? Can they muster up the determination for just three more games?
I am not sure they have it in them....

 
At 10:59 pm, Anonymous PJ said...

Well said, well said.......

 
At 4:23 am, Anonymous Big Dave said...

I'll be standing right with you. Thanks for the encouraging words. You're a real fan.

Dave

 
At 11:32 am, Anonymous Sanchez said...

Thanks for all your kind comments peeps, I'm glad to see I'm not the only guy out there, bleeding with his team!

Dolfans - We're in this together, bring on the Pats!

Niners fans, Lions fans - We feel each others pain! One day our teams will get to the top again and we'll be there!

 
At 2:25 pm, Anonymous Chemmy said...

Keep up the fight. Nothing is more pathetic than reading blogs written by people who are "die hard fans" giving up on their team after a bad season (Dolphins) / couple years (Maple Leafs) / century (Cubs).

 
At 4:56 pm, Anonymous Genuine Love « DarcNess said...

[...] 17, 2007 · No Comments I can’t tell you how impressive this was to me.  Now that’s a true follower.  Today, he’s much, much [...]

 

Post a Comment

<< Home