Shot to Nothing

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

It's all about Diversificationism.

When I first set out to start this sports blog, the one thing I wanted to do was to provide a comprehensive coverage of several sports. I wanted to update people on events and tournaments that they knew were going on all around them but were too lazy couldn't quite bring themselves to look in on. So in case you were wondering why I bothered with posts about Netball and Snooker etc well, now you know.

And it's with this in mind that I now bring you an America's Cup Sailing post. Yes, I really am going there.

Now listen up, the Semi-finals of this prestigious event will start on Monday in Valencia , Spain and will feature a fairly bizarre set up. After a load of round-robins, Team Emirates New Zealand find themselves on top of the leaderboard which means they get to pick who they face in the Semi's.

Let's think about that for a second... If we were talking about Football here, who do you think the Bears and the Colts would have picked in last years playoffs if they'd been given the opportunity? I can't even begin to imagine it, can you?

Anyhoo, the other Semmi-Finalists are BMW ORACLE Racing, Luna Rossa Challenge, and Desafío Español 2007, which confuses the heck outta me 'cause are they competing as countries or teams or companies or wtf?

These teams will now compete in a series of 'head to head' matches with a single point awarded to the victor in each race. The first to five points (i.e. five wins. And shit, wouldn't it have been easier to just say 'alright the first team to win five races goes through'?) will progress to the final.

All of this would be pretty cool really if it wasn't, you know, sailing. I'll keep you updated on how it goes down. You're thrilled I know.

[Official 32nd Americas Cup Website]

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 7:02 pm, Anonymous winstolv said...

Just never confuse Corinthian sport with corporate marketing WWE theater.

TV producers and sport to NOT mix.

 
At 4:26 pm, Anonymous Sanchez said...

I have no idea what Corinthian sport is (although being a sports blogger I really should) but heck, it sure sounds like it makes sense, so I wholeheartedly agree!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home