Shot to Nothing

Thursday, May 10, 2007

Leave it in the Preliminary.



Look, I'm a football guy ok, yeah sports is my number one passion in life, but Football has my heart.

And here comes the BUT... This whole seventeen games in the NFL regular season thing can kiss my ass. I know it's only being looked at in the preliminary stages, as the folks who run the show seem at pains to point out, but I think that's where it should stay.

Why would a Football lovin', Brady Hecklin', Cheerleader er... cheering, dude like me not want to see more football? It's simple really: If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.

Yes the NFL should hold regular season games abroad and yes, it should reach out to the world, anything that grows and progresses the sport is a good thing, but that doesn't mean we need to fuck with the program. Sixteen games makes for a perfect, exciting, competitive season and sets up a thrilling playoff schedule and we should respect that and leave it the hell alone.

[NFL.com]

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

At 5:36 am, Anonymous twins15 said...

I completely agree... I love the football and I love the NFL, but there's simply no need for this. Sure, it'd be cool to watch an extra regular season game, but I'm just not a huge fan of this.

 
At 2:11 pm, Anonymous simaldeff said...

Think about us : Europen American Football fans!!! I want to see a NFL game (not NFL Europa) before I die, but I ain't got money to go to the US.
Plus having 17 games a season would avoid having even seasons ... no more 8-8 seasons, you have losing seasons or winning seasons that's it. Makes more sense to me.

 
At 5:31 pm, Anonymous Sanchez said...

twins: totaly agree dude.

simaldeff: That is an interesting point about the even seasons, but I'm not sure I've ever thought about an even season being anything other than a losing one! ;)

I think it's greta that the NFL is going to host games overseas, but I still don't think they need to add a game to achieve this.

 
At 11:09 pm, Anonymous simaldeff said...

Well it's 8 games home, 8 games away and 1 where neither team is at home ... it's quite fair IMHO. Taking one of the 16 games to a foreign country is taking away an important home game for one team (which is important when you know that a play-off wildcard can be decided by a few points margin let alone a victory). So having each team have 1 game oversea (IMHO Mexico and Canada aren't that diferent from home games for some teams : 49ers and Chargers fans can go to mexico like Bears and Pats can go to canada easily ... i'd like to see the fans following to a match in england).
I dream of a day when there will be a franchise in Europe or in Asia ... having a true world Bowl. Football should try to expand more (Soccer sucks!!! And I'm saying that while living in Italy and being French)

 
At 11:11 am, Anonymous Sanchez said...

Damn it simaldef will you stop making good points? ;)

I like that idea of having the extra game overseas and therefore home to neither team. The problem is that then you would have to have 16 overseas games a year (one for each team). That may be a little hard to organise.

I do think having a franchise in Europe etc would be superb, hopefully this forward thinking by the NFL will lead to that one day.

And hey, you won't get any arguments from me on hating soccer, I just don't know how people sit through all those 90min 0-0 draws anymore...

 
At 1:41 pm, Anonymous simaldeff said...

If they go with an uneven number of game we could do a classifying system like in Sumo at the end of the year : see
http://everything2.com/index.pl?node=banzuke

which could be fun for stuff like fantasy football or any other use. Like having an official chart of the teams permanently.

 
At 5:43 pm, Anonymous Sanchez said...

hmm... yeah, maybe. I think that promoting or demoting might be a change too far though. But you have definately given me some food for thought on this issue friend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home